- This event has passed.
MTE Phalaborwa Expo 2017
June 6 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pmFree
– The name “Ba-Phalaborwa”, given to the area by the Sotho tribes who moved here from the south, means better than the south. The Sotho mined and smelted copper and iron ore here as far back as 400 AD. Masorini, near Phalaborwa gate, is a reconstructed Ba-Phalaborwa hill village, with huts, grain storage areas, and an iron smelting site
– This area is known as the Valley of the Olifants and has the highest winter temperatures in South Africa.
– The copper operation comprises an underground mine, concentrator, copper smelter with anode casting facilities and an associated acid plant, an electrolytic refinery tank house, rod casting plant, magnetite separation plant and by-product recovery plants. The vermiculite operation comprises an open pit mining operation and a recovery plant. – Ba-Phalaborwa has the highest concentration of minerals in the Mopani district, hence mining is the largest economic sector in the municipality and also the largest employer.
– This is our seventh exhibition for the area.
– We had 256 registered visitors and
– 63 exhibitors booked at the last exhibition.
– Copper, Fertilisers, Acid
Type of Operations:
– Underground Mining